Friday, October 15, 2010

A Healer Needs to Heal.

Yesterday's Interesting Medical Day

Yesterday my day began with an early appointment with the Vet, Betsy Thorsen at Stillwater Vet Clinic. It was at 8am and I just couldn't get there at that time, so I pushed it back to after my PT. So, I had two dogs in the car while I was at my WONDERFUL physical terrorists office.

First, I would like to tell you about an amazing healer who calls himself a physical therapist, Mike Ripley. The company he founded along with a buddy is called OSI Physical Therapy Associates and he is a miracle worker as far as I am concerned. However, this week has been an emotionally tough one for Mike because he lost both his parents in one week's time span. He lost his mother on the 1st of October and lost his father on the 8th. He was home when his mother died and home is South Dakota. I believe they lived near Pierre. Anyway, after 56 years of marriage the thought of losing her husband, I believe, simply did her in emotionally and she decided to go before him. After that loss, Mike's father gathered his boys together in a room (he had home hospice care) and told them that, he too, would be leaving that he was tired and ready to go. His wife was where he wanted to be and he was ready to go and be with her. Now, keep in mind, I am getting all of this information while Mike is working me out on the bench with a balance ball, or he's working me out on a weight machine, but suffice to say that I am working while he is talking. His face it grim with grief but he works while he grieves, it must help him deal with this tremendous loss.

Anyway, by the following Tuesday I walked in for my appointment (Mike was in South Dakota again) and was told that Mike's father was within days of dying and he was simply waiting for the day. When I went in on Thursday for my appointment, Mike's father had died Tuesday morning shortly after my appointment, they had the funeral, and Mike was back and seeing patients. My jaw dropped open. It was like shock and awe. What on earth was he doing home seeing patients within days of both of his parents dying. Was he nuts?

No, he is in the grieving process, I believe. We all grieve differently and Mike is clearly on fumes. At some point he is going to collapse and when he does, his family, his work family, and his patient family will help him collapse and support him while he does this. I think there's nothing more wonderful that being supported by people who love you. And I may be a lowly long-term patient of his, but I love him dearly, he's family in my book. And quite frankly, so are most of people who work there. Each one of them have contributed to my healing process whether they know it or not. That's why when other doctors or PT people recommend someone else for my PT needs, I am not interested in exploring that option. I know exactly who my family is in this regard. I wish he didn't need to feel these intense feelings of loss, but he does. And he needs to feel them all, when he does this, he will be over the bulk of it, but until he takes the time to drop, he will not be addressing the glaring emotional work he needs to do to heal. He has helped me with my needs more than anyone else I work with from a medical standpoint, well, besides the wonderful Dr. Wilkens, but now it's time for Mike.

It is also my turn as his friend to support him in anyway that I can. Whether that be just giving him hugs when I see him twice a week for my appointments, or bringing in a card, a meal, flowers, a plant, whatever it is, it is my turn to support him as he heals. I have said time and again there are people in the medical profession who are healers and there are people who are not. Mike is a healer. The book he gave me to read a couple of weeks ago, and yes, he gives me and lots of other patients books to read that he's read already and then he shares them with us, but the book is titled, "Doubt and Faith". What a perfect book to have read prior to losing both parents in a span of 8 days. My heart goes out to him. My husband certainly joins me in offering our prayers to him and all of his family. But, I must say, I feel like family too. I may be over stepping, but after five years of him teaching, helping, and supporting me, he is my peeps. I will support him and his staff in anyway that they need me to step up. After all they have done for me it is the least I can do.

So, our prayers are with you Mike and family. When you let go and really begin to grieve you have many, many people to hold you while you let go. I am one of them, and there are so many others. You're safe, you're protected, and we love and support you. This is what you have so generously offered me over the years and I return it with glee (meaning an enthusiasm to help) and reverence.

God bless you Mike. God Bless OSI.

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment