Thursday, October 7, 2010

At Least It's Later in the Morning!

Thursday Morning Musing with a Weird Left Hip

Well, yesterday I crossed my right leg over my left. You know how most women sit down, they cross their legs. I've heard that sitting in this manner creates all kinds of havoc on the legs. Vein issues, hip issues, sciatic issues, blah, blah, blah. But, most women still prefer sitting in this position while seated. So, I am used to it, I am comfortable sitting this way, and I was really happy to hear that I could still cross one leg over and not dislocate. However, I have been experiencing some very weird goings-on when I cross my leg. Remember, my surgical leg is the one on the left side. I can't cross it or I run the risk of blowing it out, which I really don't want to do. It compromises the integrity of the joint for the duration of the joint and that's just NOT good. But when I have been crossing the right over the left I am experiencing popping, catching--to the point of not being able to move the joint at all, and I am screaming in pain while this is all taking place. So, I gave myself the five times rule. If it happens five times I will call the doctor and make an appointment. Well, yesterday was the fifth time and I was yelping just like a poor injured doggy while sitting at my desk. After I was able to disconnect myself from the injury, I grabbed the phone and called my doctor ( David Palmer, MD St. Croix Ortho, 651.439.8807). I am seeing him Tuesday.

One great thing that happened, however, was that yesterday I also had an appointment with my wonderful physical terrorist, Mike Ripley, from OSI Physical Therapy. I mentioned this problem to him and he is convinced that it is most likely not the joint that is malfunctioning, but it is my IT band which is a band of connective tissue that runs down the outside of each leg. I had just had a steroid injections in both hip bursas so connective tissue softens when the shots are given. And since I have also had two bursectomy's on that side, during both surgeries, Dr. Palmer had released the IT band slightly to give the bursa's some relief. In other words, he released them and then the pressure on my bursa's released, which was/is a very good thing.

Now the problem may be that we have released the IT band so much that it is sliding over the bursa, or sliding over something and doing it only when I am in certain positions I place myself in. Well, this ought to be good. I would absolutely be willing to have Dr. Palmer go in there with that scope and tighten things up again I can tell you that. When that thing slides it's absolute hell on earth. So, more will be revealed and my appointment is on Tuesday so I will keep you all posted. In the mean time, I am going to learn all I can about IT bands and their release and their tightening. Hopefully, I will go into this appointment with some knowledge. Plus, Mike always goes with me to these appointments and that is the wonderful thing about seeing the same PT guy for so long--not to mention the fact that Mike is just a generally fabulous human being. He knows how I work and he knows how my body works. This combination is very important and I appreciate his extra effort in going with me to see DP. He is a very, very good PT person and his passion for his profession has not waned at all in the 25/30 years he has had his practice.

So, OSI Physical Therapy :: Stillwater Office :: 651.439.8540. Tell Sue or Rachel or Shirley that Robin sent you.

Cheers...and until tomorrow...Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment